Friday, April 01, 2005

 

April Fool

I gotta quit smoking. I can't imagine spending a hundred bucks or more a month on medicine to lower my chloesterol (or however you spell it). I spend that much or more each month on tubes of paper filled with a plant that, when burned and inhaled, put tar, chemicals, and Howdy Doody knows what else in my lungs. Over a hundred bucks a month for something I set ablaze and intentionally burn to the butt. Must be the hand mouth thing. Or maybe it's the taste with the first cup of coffee each morning. Yeah, that must be it, because the rest of the day my mouth tastes like well, an ashtray. What about the role models I had in my youth? They were cool when they lit up in the movies. Cowboys could roll 'em with one hand. Debonair gentlemen lit up when talking to a dame. A guy about to face the firing squad was given one before he ate lead. Hell, just writing about that made me slip into "movie speak". And what about the ads on tv? When you flew on an airlines they gave you complimentary packs. And the really deal clincher, they were forbidden for young people. Once I decided to smoke one of my grandfathers cigars. I carefully smuggled one out of the house, hid it behind his workshop for a couple of days until I go up enough courage to light it. I got caught because my grandmother saw the smoke coming from behind the workshop. My green color may have also contributed to my aprehension. They figured I had enough punishment from the Hav-A-Tampa and let me off the hook. Later that night, we all sat in the den at ther house and watched tv while my grandfather smoked Lucky Strikes. There was always a haze of blue smoke in the den when we watched tv in the evenings. He worked for American Tobacco in Reidsville, N.C. until he retired. Duh.

Comments:
yes, i agree. it does look cool. but i would love it if you quit for health's sake. :) and i would rather see you healthy than cool. besides you are already the coolest, so you don't need it anyway.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]